Services Pre‐Start Health And Safety Reviews (PSHSR)
A Pre-Start Health and Safety Review is required to be performed as per Section 7 of Regulation 851, R.R.O. 1990 under the Occupational Health and Safety Act R.S.O, 1990 which states that a new apparatus, structure or protective element is to be constructed, added or installed or a new process at any industrial facility must be reviewed by a Professional Engineer to ensure compliance with the applicable codes and safety standards. Pre-Start Health and Safety review is mandatory to ensure that the design & control requirements for electrical, mechanical, pneumatic or hydraulic systems are met. The purpose of the review is to identify and eliminate hazards by reliable control using proper safety devices. A Pre-Start Health and Safety Review (PHSR) should be performed where the equipment, process or structure is used. The Pre-Start Health and Safety Review (PSHSR) process can be carried out per the following steps as outlined below:
- Onsite safety inspection at where the equipment/machine is operating
- Review the provided design drawings, document and related specifications.
- Review the electrical control and safety circuits.
- Review the upgrades and modifications plans, if applicable
- Evaluate the operating cycle and verify a safe work environment.
- Test the equipment/machine for normal operation and documenting the existing safeguarding system.
- Recommend proper safety solutions that should not restrict the operation system as well as meet the applicable codes and safety standards.
- Electrical classification for hazardous locations’ if applicable.
- Recommended proper and reliable safety control circuits.
- Provide Pre-Start Health & Safety Review sealed by a professional engineer, the Pre-Start Health & Safety Review shall describe all measures that should be taken to achieve compliance with the relevant provisions of Ontario Regulation 851 for industrial establishments, as well as includes results of any inspections performed.
MHD Engineering also provides Final compliance and safety certification to reduce its customers’ liabilities to Zero, the Final compliance and safety certification can be carried out per the following steps as outlined below
- Onsite inspection(s) to review upgrades to the equipment as outlined in the Pre-Start Health and Safety Review report
- Review the updated documentation if applicable.
- Test and document the equipment for safe operation.
- Provide final Pre-Start Health and Safety review
- Issue Certificate of Safety compliance sealed by P.Eng.